How life goes

 

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

1971 Prisoners of war




I have just seen the movie ‘1971’ and nothing has moved me so much ever. It is the story of 6 Prisoners of war of 1971, who make an attempt to escape from the toil. It is a fictitious annexation to the true base line of 54 Indian soldiers being captured by the Pakistan in the Bangladesh war during 1971.

The movie is no less than any Oscar winner with excellence shown in every aspect. This is a bold drift from stereotyped bollywood masala movies with item numbers where in the dancer shows her generosity in revealing her skin. The fact that 1971 didn’t run well shows how people crane their necks for such movies and dancers.

The actors though new (except Manoj Bajpai) have competed with each other making it tough for us to chose the best, their faces turning red and lips turning black in the scenes in snow show the pains they have taken in giving it a realistic appearance. The movie has raised many a voice, many a question in me. Questions about life, about hope, about countries, about borders.

The fact that nobody cared about the warriors of the nation, including the government is heart sinking. They live their life in hope, in hope to return to their country, in hope to meet their loved ones. It’s been 37 years now and still nothing is done. 37 years of hope, hope that has been their fuel for survival, hope that has been the reason for life. How hard life might be with the hope shrinking. The young warriors are no more young, they lost their youth, some might have even lost their sanity. Damayanti Tambey, the 18 months wife of one such warrior VV Tambey is still living her life hoping that her husband will return one day. She was 23 when she has last seen him, now she is 50. She lives her life hoping it to be him every time the phone rings, and every time the door bell sings. The family of the POW left no door un knocked in an attempt to find their loved ones. This is what they get for offering their sons to the mother land? The government has taken no action inspite of family members showing evidences about their existence in the Pakistan prisons.

You betray your mother land you are ‘gaddar’ what if your mother land betrays you?

14 Comments:

  • Namaste Sharmila Ji,
    I read this story and it is very poignant. Indian Government is very callous about this POW issue. I can understand the gravity of the pain and mental ordeal the families of Indian POWs are going through. When 1971 war started, I was in grade first in my village on Indo-Pak border and was in JNU for ten years(1990-2000) where Madam Tambey is Sports Director and can understand her feelings and now I am a Professor at SAIS-JHU, Washington, DC where I am very close to Indian Embassy. When I see myself in 1971, a lot has changed sans Indian Goverment. Sometimes, I think POW and NRI remember more than vice-versa.
    With respect,
    Lakhan Gusain lgusain@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 AM  

  • Read the following story and ask urself just one question why we live in a country which abandons its warriors?

    http://www.tomandcathymarking.com/reviews/ghost_soldiers.htm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

  • Hi Ms. Sharmila,

    I went through your blog after almost two years as I just happened to see this movie in the TV courtesy I-day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 PM  

  • I went through your blog after almost two years as I just happened to see this movie in the TV courtesy I-day. I was really moved. It is heartening to note that there are people like you who feel for the real Indians.

    I feel really sorry that the ruling governments all these years have not taken any sincere efforts to get them back.

    The biggest culprits however are the ruling governments of 1971 who returned more than 100000 Pak soldiers while not getting our soldiers back. This is nothing short of treason act of everyone who advised this and I feel they are nothing but traitors of this country in that sense.

    I sincerely think things will change soon as a generation changes to take charge of this country as we get rid of selfish, greedy and corruptive elements from the governance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

  • SHARMILA JI JAI HIND
    OUR LEARDERS ARE DARPOK EITHER BJP OR CONG.

    By Blogger yash, at 4:31 PM  

  • hello all INDIANS..
    I have seen a lot of movies on WAR like BORDER, LOC, DEEWARE.. but none of the movies have been so touching and such an eye opener.. I saw this movie weeks back but i still can not get it out of my mind. The government should be held to answer why NO action was taken, and why nothing is being done even today.. How long do we have to wait for the goverment (officials) to change for the good of the country

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 PM  

  • I watched this movie today, n it moved me to an extent i cant explain. N the song 'sehlenge', brings me to tears. Its painful....I came across ur blog while searching for this movie only...I totally agree with what u wrote there. Nice blog....Salute to those soldiers!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 AM  

  • 1971 prisoner of war is a movie based on real story,recently i have seen this movie,and shocked from conditions which prisoners face during war,and i Salute to the courage,bravery,till the last moment of their life,since not only they,but their family has to also face the problem,I SALUTE TO ALL DEFENCE TEAM,wheather NAVAL,ARMY,AIRFORCE,FOR the everlast courage and Sacrifice for the country.

    By Blogger ER DEEPAK SAXENA, at 11:57 PM  

  • jo is desh ki raksha ke liye sarhad pr tanaat h...unhi ki is desh ko fikar nhi...i also saw dis movie...nd even after watching movie also planned to write a letter to d president....they and there families are still in the hope...shame on india.....i want to join armed forces...when i vl recommended i vl surely raise this issue....and in the last please god help the famlies of our brave soldiers....apno se dur rehne ka dard kya hota h koi inse puche..

    By Blogger MUKESH, at 10:08 AM  

  • Bring back our heroes.start a movement be united

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:57 AM  

  • My con no 9732556227

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:58 AM  

  • Bring back our heroes.start a movement be united

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:59 AM  

  • I Want to download this movie and I want to buy movie CD also pls anyone help my whatsapp number 8088252714 pls.����

    By Blogger Deepak kumar Dk, at 9:34 AM  

  • It is really pathetic as to how come our govt released 93000 pows of pak and we could not get back out 54 pow in more than 40 years..can you imagine the pain they have gone through for joining the armed forces....pathetic govt of india and pakistan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home