How life goes

 

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Orkut mania


There have been many social networking sites but nothing caught me as much as Orkut. Can’t say exactly what makes it cool or distinct from others… could be the features… could be the navigation… could be etc etc etc but it surely has changed the traditional way of discovering friends or rather mutual friends.

I don’t know exactly if this is the reason that‘s making me hook to Orkut. I have been meeting many old friends and also discovering many mutual friends. Here is how you discover mutual friends or relatives in traditional way. We have been doing this from years.

I have two different friends who belong to two different worlds to me. Actually they both are room mates in same hostel unaware that they both know me. On the day of my wedding each told to the other it’s their friend’s wedding today; they got ready and left the room. The funny part is that they didn’t discover that they both are heading towards the same venue. It was a shock to both of them when they finally ended up in the same place. When they told me the matter I was a bit shocked myself as I never suspected all these days that they could be knowing each other.

I had one more experience where in the marriage ceremony leads us to the undiscovered fact. seems like weddings are the only way to discover in those days (those days??? its just been a year of my marriage and I am referring to the days before orkut as those days :|. though orkut is launched in 2004 I started using it in 2006)And now with Orkut it’s like every thing is changed all of a sudden. I discovered many a mutual friend/relative with a single click on ‘view friends’. Some of them were like I wouldn’t be able to discover in my whole life time. I would have died without knowing.

Later I started thinking if discovering the new relation is really helpful. Probably I might not lose any thing had I not known it, but knowing it made the relation more intimate. Social relations are always good whether they are beneficial or not all the times. After all man is a social animal and has a social need, remember it? one of the needs in motivational theory :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home